[Article updated on 19/09/2023]
Bulky calves are not very aesthetically pleasing. Fortunately, they can lose weight with the right exercises. I am going to introduce you to sports that will help you effectively refine your legs. But first, find out the possible reasons why you have big calves.
Before reading on
I’m not an expert in this field, but I am passionate about nutrition and health.
The articles you’ll find on my site are the result of in-depth research that I’d like to share with you. However, I would like to stress that I am not a health professional and that my advice should in no way replace that of a qualified physician. I’m here to guide you, but it’s important that you consult a professional for specific questions or medical concerns. Your well-being is important. So be sure to consult the appropriate experts and take the best possible care of yourself.
Why does fat accumulate in the calves?
There are several reasons why fat accumulates in the calves:
- Poor diet: leads to weight gain;
- Lack of physical activities;
- Poor hydration: affects blood circulation.
It is therefore important to perform exercises daily to refine your feet which I will present a little further down. It will only take you a few minutes. Also, I strongly recommend that you drink at least 1.5 L of water per day. Besides, it is also beneficial for your health.
The causes of large calves
Apart from the accumulation of fat, other reasons can explain the bulky appearance of the calves. Let’s do a check in.
In addition to promoting the accumulation of fat, being overweight causes excessive strain on the calves. As it is a set of muscles, they then tend to develop and grow. Weight loss is therefore the first step to take to lose weight in the calves in cases of obesity or overweight.
2- Water retention
Water retention occurs when too much water is stored in the tissues while there is insufficient blood stimulation. This can be caused by a sedentary lifestyle, excessive salt consumption or even heat.
3- Practicing certain sports
Certain activities such as tennis or sprinting can also cause large calves. With this type of sport, called “high impact”, the individual must make rapid movements on the tips of the toes. This is how it promotes the development and growth of the calf muscles.
4- Venous insufficiency
Venous insufficiency appears when you remain standing for too long. It can also be caused by heat. This pathology manifests itself by feelings of heavy legs, cramps or even varicose veins. This is due to the fact that the blood no longer circulates properly and then accumulates in the legs.
Finally, it is important to know that heredity also plays a role in the morphology of a human being. As a result, some people are just predisposed to having large calves.
What sports should you practice to lose weight in your calves?
Certain sports are effective in refining the calves. But beware ! There are also activities that, on the contrary, will make them gain weight.
Sports to practice to refine the calf
Water sports are among the most effective activities for quickly slimming your calves. In fact, water friction constitutes a massage which helps to reduce the size of these muscles. In addition, the environment facilitates drainage and the elimination of toxins. Therefore, I strongly recommend aquagym, aquastretching, aquabiking or even swimming to lose weight on your legs. Other options such as yoga, cardio, pilates or even cycling (without lifting the glutes) also produce interesting results.
Sports that allow you to have big calves
As I mentioned above, high-impact sports make your calves bigger. In this category, you will find, for example, gymnastics, ball games, tennis, athletics, skiing, running, horse riding, combat sports or even crossfit. I also advise you to avoid skipping rope and step exercise if your goal is to refine your calves. These activities promote muscle growth by overexerting the legs. Finally, be careful not to tilt the treadmill too much if you are using a treadmill.
Exercises to lose calves
The following exercises allow you to quickly refine your calves. Perform a few of them daily to see the best results.
Stretching to refine the calves
Active-dynamic stretching facing a wall
- Stand facing a wall (about 1 m away).
- Stretch one of your legs backwards and slightly bend the front one.
- Place your hands against the wall and push forward, making sure to keep your back leg straight and your heel anchored in the ground.
- Hold this position for about 15 seconds and repeat the same movement with the other leg.
Calf stretch against a wall
- Place the tip of one of your feet against a wall (heel on the floor).
- Stretch your calf by moving very slowly.
- Hold this position for 20 to 30 seconds, then release.
- Perform the same exercise with your other leg.
Standing passive stretching
- Stand with your back straight and your legs parallel.
- Lean forward until your hands touch the balls of your feet to stretch your upper calves.
- Stay in this position for 15 to 20 seconds and get up.
Seated passive stretching
- In a seated position, stretch your legs forward, tiptoes toward the sky.
- Gently lean forward so that you touch the tips of your feet.
- Hold this position for 15 to 20 seconds then release.
Extensions: plantar flexions to refine your calves
Plantar flexions are extension exercises that lengthen and refine the calf. Depending on your desires, you can do them with or without a step. I present to you the movements to carry out in both cases.
Plantar flexions with walking to lose weight in the calves
- Install a step (not too high) against a wall.
- Climb onto the step so that your heels are in the air.
- Gently raise your body, resting on your tiptoes.
- Slowly lower yourself until your heels are at the lowest position.
- Repeat the movements ten times.
No-step plantar flexions to get rid of big calves
- In a standing position, with your back straight, gradually lift your heels off the ground.
- Stay supported on your toes for about 2 to 3 seconds then place your heels on the floor.
- Perform 3 to 4 sets of 10 movements for best results.
Jump squats will help you lose weight in your calves while building them up. In addition, they work your entire body, particularly the glutes and legs. Here are the steps to follow for this exercise.
- Get into a standing position with your feet apart.
- Stretch your hands out in front of you and gradually lower yourself, bending your knees.
- Jump while leaning on your heels.
- You must then drop straight back into a squat position.
- Repeat the movement about 20 times.
Cardio to lose weight in the calves
Cardio training is a set of endurance exercises designed to increase breathing and heart rate. They work the muscles of the legs, arms or both limbs. Here are some examples of cardio that help refine the calf.
- Fast walking: on flat or very slightly inclined ground;
- The treadmill: at walking speed, flat or very slightly inclined treadmill;
- Swimming ;
- Bike: without raising the buttocks.
Follow the configurations mentioned above carefully to obtain the desired effect. Finally, I remind you that certain cardio exercises such as sprinting promote muscle development in the calves.
Refine your calves: watch out for venous insufficiency and water retention
As I mentioned above, venous insufficiency and water retention cause calves to gain weight. You must therefore pay attention to your lifestyle to avoid these disorders. Finally, I present to you some simple tips to prevent them.
- Practice regular physical activity. In your case, you should therefore favor exercises that help you lose weight in your legs and avoid high-impact sports.
- Drink at least 1.5 L of water per day. Limit alcoholic, carbonated and overly sugary drinks. Furthermore, green tea is effective against water retention thanks to its diuretic properties.
- Limit your salt intake. Along the same lines, prefer home-cooked meals.
- Eat balanced. Choose foods rich in magnesium and good fatty acids.
- Avoid sitting or standing for too long.
- If your legs are heavy, lie on your back and elevate your feet slightly. It is also advisable to perform a delicate massage starting from the ankle and going up towards the knee.
- Wear support stockings. These are medical devices whose function is to prevent the dilation of veins in order to promote blood circulation.
- See a doctor if your problems with fluid retention or venous insufficiency do not resolve. This will prescribe more appropriate treatments such as a venotonic treatment.
In addition to helping you lose weight in your calves, these tips preserve your health and optimize the results of your weight loss process. I advise you to apply them in your daily life even if you have no goal to achieve.