[Article updated on 19/09/2023]
Menopause corresponds to the end of the reproductive period in women and can be accompanied by unpleasant symptoms such as hot flashes, mood swings, weight gain But this is not inevitable !
Before reading on
I’m not an expert in this field, but I am passionate about nutrition and health.
The articles you’ll find on my site are the result of in-depth research that I’d like to share with you. However, I would like to stress that I am not a health professional and that my advice should in no way replace that of a qualified physician. I’m here to guide you, but it’s important that you consult a professional for specific questions or medical concerns. Your well-being is important. So be sure to consult the appropriate experts and take the best possible care of yourself.
We will see how to boost your metabolism, readjust your diet as your energy needs decrease and how you can avoid and/or limit the annoying effects of hormonal changes!
Boost your metabolism!
Then it’s time to relaunch it!
Increase your intake of animal and plant proteins for 3 days. Proteins provide few calories and require additional effort from the body to assimilate them. Thanks to this additional effort, energy costs are increased. Remember to drink well to help your kidneys evacuate excess!
We move every day for at least 30 minutes, walking, stairs, cleaning, gardening, etc.
Physical activity helps preserve your muscle mass and skeletal density, but it also sculpts your figure. By developing your muscles, you will facilitate your slimming and more easily stabilize your ideal weight. For good physical activity, it is necessary to combine exercises to boost your heart: such as running, swimming, cycling or rowing, and muscle strengthening exercises: such as abs, but also core strengthening. lumbar.
Your diet, in practice, on a daily basis
- Avoid low-fat, light or 0% products
- Make smaller meals and split your diet to avoid cravings
- Never skip a meal
- Organize 1 to 2 snacks spread throughout the day consisting of a source of fiber and protein.
Here are examples of snacks to include as part of the special menopause diet:
- 1 fruit + 30g low-fat cheese Or 1 fruit + 1 yogurt Or 1 fruit + a handful of oilseeds (walnuts, almonds, etc.)
- Or Slice of wholemeal bread + 1 teaspoon of peanut or almond butter or 2 wholemeal cookies + 1 natural yogurt Or 30g whole grains + 1 bowl of soy or cow’s milk or 100g raw vegetable sticks + 30g hummus
My food advice
- Listen to and respect satiety signals (take at least 20 minutes per meal)
- Do not add salt to preparations and choose “low sodium” products
- Eat fatty fish twice a week
- Prefer olive oil to butter for cooking
- Instead of a glass of alcohol, choose tomato juice as an aperitif
- Eat fruits and vegetables with every meal
- Cook as much as possible and promote “homemade”
- Sunbathe and move for at least 30 minutes a day this allows you to secrete more endorphin to sleep better, manage stress and physical activity helps maintain the muscles which consume more energy and give a beautiful shape to your body, you will be slimmer!
- To sleep well, favor starchy foods in the evening which increases serotonin secretion. (sleep hormone) and limit caffeine: max 2 coffee per day (it also causes spikes in blood sugar with sweet cravings) replace it with green tea, herbal tea, lemon water and or flavored with orange blossom…
If you are tired, rest (listen to your signals rather than hiding them!)
Beware of endocrine disruptors which destabilize hormonal rhythms, thus promoting weight gain. Endocrine disruptors are present in pesticides, food additives, cosmetic products, cleaning products, tobacco and fine particles. Avoid them as much as possible by favoring an organic diet, cosmetics and natural cleaning products.
Example of a typical day
|Breakfast (oatmeal with almonds and flax seeds, milk, orange)
|Curry chicken escalope, Vichy carrots and basmati rice, a slice of bread (wholemeal), cheese and fruit
|1 fruit + a handful of oilseeds
|Salmon with leeks, quinoa-coral lentils, natural yogurt, baked apple with cinnamon
Your “natural” toolbox: herbal medicine, essential oils, food supplements can help you correct the problems that can be caused by menopause!
- for all the ills of menopause: Bach flower n°40
- bloating: vegetable charcoal and Probiotics: in concentrated form in capsules. Take 15-day cures to rebalance the intestinal flora (think about food probiotics: not too ripe banana, sauerkraut, natural yogurt, etc.).
- Osteoporosis – depression: Vitamin D3 lanolin 5 drops every day.
- Hot flash: Combination of soy or hops with chasteberry or lemon balm.
- Water retention: Green Cypress or Provence essential oils have a venous and lymphatic decongestant action. Two drops of essential oil in a teaspoon of honey, taken three times a day. Herbal teas from anti-water retention plants that stimulate the liver, kidneys or hepatic system: green tea, dandelion, red vine, orthosiphon (or java tea) or even pilosella. Flaxseed also helps reduce water retention.
- Fatigue: marine magnesium in a 3-week course (8-10 days off and restart if necessary)
- Stress: Association of passionflower, fumitory or valerian with magnesium and vitamin B6.
- Hypothyroidism: Complex of iodine (and seafood), selenium, zinc, vitamin B6 and magnesium.
- Sleep: herbal teas to take in the late afternoon and a small cup after the evening meal: linden, orange blossom, passionflower, chamomile. To relax, fall asleep and/or go back to sleep if you wake up at night: sweet mandarin essential oil 1 drop on the handle, rub the 2 handles and the temples. 1 drop of fine lavender essential oil on the pillow to fall asleep and soothe
Raise your foot and let yourself be cocooned : Massage, spa, jacuzzi and why not do acupressure sessions (digital pressure technique allowing you to unblock energy blockages, put energy back into motion, stop pain, eliminate ailments linked to menopause, sleep better: the sessions last 1h-1h30).
The menopause period is full of change so take advantage of it to make a new start, take care of yourself and your health in order to feel good in your body and your mind!
Stay slim and live well during this period is possible, it’s up to you!