[Article updated on 19/09/2023]
The grape diet is one of the most often adopted detox programs thanks to its countless benefits. It doesn’t just make you lose weight. It frees the body from toxins caused by industrial foods, bad fats and even alcohol. Also, it contributes to your mental and physical well-being. Can everyone follow a grape diet? I tell you everything about this practice.
Before reading on
I’m not an expert in this field, but I am passionate about nutrition and health.
The articles you’ll find on my site are the result of in-depth research that I’d like to share with you. However, I would like to stress that I am not a health professional and that my advice should in no way replace that of a qualified physician. I’m here to guide you, but it’s important that you consult a professional for specific questions or medical concerns. Your well-being is important. So be sure to consult the appropriate experts and take the best possible care of yourself.
What does the grape diet consist of?
Presentation of the grape diet
The grape diet, also called uval cure or ampelotherapy, is a body detoxification program. It consists of consuming only grapes over a predefined period, to eliminate toxins and revitalize the body. Drinking water and infusions as much as you want is allowed.
Principle of the monodiet
The grape diet is a mono-diet treatment which consists of nourishing yourself with a single food: grapes. This practice allows the body to rest. This is also the principle of the method. Fruits and vegetables are quickly digested, especially in 30 minutes. By consuming only fruit, the digestive system has time to evacuate its toxins and regenerate itself.
The monodiet is seasonal. It prepares the body for the winter season by reducing stored waste. It boosts the body so that it resists winter illnesses. The monodiet can be practiced using many foods, including brown rice, apples, carrots and even grapes.
Focus on the properties of grapes
Here are the properties of grapes that I suggest you discover:
- It is an alkalizer: it ensures the right balance between acid and base in the body;
- It is a revitalizer: it restores vitality to the organs thanks to its nutrient-rich nature;
- It is a detoxifier: its purifying power acts on the emunctories such as the intestines or even the skin.
Ripe grapes are an interesting fruit given the elements of which they are composed:
- Vitamins A, B, C;
- Iron ;
- Minerals such as potassium, calcium, iron, magnesium and phosphorus;
- Assimilable carbohydrates such as fructose;
- Antioxidants, polyphenols, flavonoids, chlorophyll, resveratrol;
- Some water.
What are the different types of grape cures?
A grape cure comes in three types, namely:
- A partial grape cure: it consists of consuming grapes instead of dinner, to “eat light”. It is aimed at people who suffer from poor quality sleep and/or uncomfortable waking up.
- An additional grape cure: this method consists of eating grapes 15 to 20 minutes before meals. It helps overcome poor food hygiene.
- A complete grape cure: this is the method that I will focus on the most. It offers more benefits than the other two types of diets. It targets people wishing to lose weight and detoxify the body.
I recommend that you try the first two methods, which are simpler, before carrying out a complete treatment. Consult a doctor if you have any doubts about your ability to follow the diet.
What are the benefits and limitations of the grape diet?
The benefits of uval treatment contribute to its success:
- Improved digestion: bile has no difficulty passing through the digestive tract;
- A necessary supply of energy: the body draws half of the energy it needs from grapes. It finds the rest in fat reserves;
- Neutralization of acidity in the body: the remineralizing nature of the fruit helps regulate the acidity level;
- Prevention of pathologies: the flavonoids, polyphenols and resveratrol composing the fruit fight against the aging of neurons, cardiovascular diseases and obesity;
- A solution to constipation: the fruit stimulates lazy transit, so that it works faster;
- A solution to liver congestion: grapes save you from the unpleasant feeling of heaviness on the right side of the ribs;
- A sugar that is easy to assimilate: grape sugar has been compared to that of breast milk. As a result, both are as easy to assimilate as each other;
- A reduction of toxins in the body: the latter becomes healthier when it is freed from the toxins of medications, stress, diet or even pollution;
- An appetite suppressant: grapes are a effective appetite suppressant thanks to its rich character in dietary fiber;
- A way to promote well-being: your skin becomes luminous and you become more dynamic after a uval treatment.
The grape monodiet can cause the following adverse effects:
- It exposes you to a yoyo effect: the high calorie content of grapes risks making you gain weight at the end of the monodiet. To remedy this, you have to pay attention to what you eat;
- It can cause false constipation: the skin and seeds accumulating in the anus are the cause of the problem. An enema helps to get rid of it;
- It has a laxative effect: a high consumption of fiber is the cause.
Please note, the monodiet is not suitable for pregnant/breastfeeding women.
What about people with diabetes?
It is not recommended for people with type 1 and 2 diabetes to undergo uval treatment. It exposes you to a high consumption of fast sugars. 100 g of fruit contains between 15 to 18 g of carbohydrates. The diet is also not suitable for children, people with anorexia, victims of irritable bowel syndrome and candidiasis patients. They must contact a doctor to find the weight loss/detox products that suit them.
Does the grape diet help you lose weight?
Specialists especially recommend the grape cure as part of a detox program. It is not uncommon for many people to choose it as a slimming method, despite this. It should be understood that 100 g of grapes is equivalent to 77 cal. You consume between 770 to 1540 calories by deciding to eat 1 to 2 kg of grapes per day.
This is lower than the daily caloric intake of a physically inactive person. The uval cure therefore allows you to lose weight, provided you respect the recommended quantity and practice physical activities. Health specialists estimate a weight loss of 3 kg in one week. It will depend on each person’s metabolism. I suggest you click on this link giving access to the best fat burners, if you are looking for an effective way to lose weight.
How does a grape diet work?
The choice of grapes
Grapes from organic farming are the most suitable for uval treatment since they are free of pesticides. Also, they are nutritionally rich. Favor ripe fruit. They taste good and they bring a lot of vitality. Grapes should be consumed with their skins and seeds, which are rich in antioxidants.
Before the diet
Not only physical, but also psychological preparation before the detox program is necessary:
- Drink unsweetened infusions of rosemary, mallow or even nettle;
- Reduce the consumption of food sources of animal proteins, industrial foods and starchy foods one week before the monodiet;
- Increase consumption of fresh, raw and steamed fruits and vegetables;
- Mentally prepare to diet for days.
The duration of the diet
I recommend you do an effective 3-day diet, to start. The treatment can be carried out several times a year. You can gradually increase the duration of the detox program as you go. However, it is not recommended to avoid going beyond 3 weeks, since it is a restrictive diet. It can lead to nutritional deficiency and other secondary problems.
Idea of menus during uval treatment
Vary the grapes according to your preferences. Chasselas and Muscat are among the best varieties. Concerning the quantity, define it according to your physical and professional activities. On average, between 1 to 2 kg per day is sufficient. Drink enough water
Here is a menu idea for a complete grape diet.
|White grape + black grape juice without sugar
|Black grape + white grape juice without sugar
|White grape + black grape juice without sugar
Opinions of health specialists on the grape diet
The choice of grape treatment must be defined according to the desired results and your lifestyle. Specialists recommend the partial and additional diet if your work requires a lot of effort. They allow you to enjoy some benefits such as a better complexion and good quality sleep.
The complete monodiet is the trick they recommend to find greater results, such as weight loss or drainage of the body. If possible, follow the diet during a time off. However, it is conceivable to do it even if you are working/studying. Resist temptation in case you have to attend a group lunch or party.
Consumer reviews on the grape diet
Consumers have tried the uval cure after surfing the Internet to find out how to lose weight using this method. Some of them tested the partial diet. They replaced dinners with fruit. Too bad they didn’t mention the results. In any case, they claimed that grapes are easy to digest.
A consumer tested the complete grape diet for 20 days. He managed to lose 15 kg during this period. He decided to stop the treatment when he could no longer lose weight. He then opted for bodybuilding to work on his figure. He did not experience any notable side effects during the treatment, apart from a little fatigue. Also, he was a little chilly. His acne breakouts intensified due to the elimination of toxins. Everything returned to normal when he resumed his eating habits at the end of the treatment.